Like Pete already said because we do this all the time we know what to do up front. FIRST there is math done to figure out 'can we do it' in the space available. We know to consider the difference between IBM i 6.1 and 7.1 (BIG Difference in this case!) and all of that. We know the rules for LS migrations and what that entails such as at least one IPL to DST and one additional IPL.

I'm not saying that doing it without tape is the best way all the time because it's not. The closer you are to 'full' the less likely concurrent migration will work. No doubt about that part. But we hear horror stories about how bad things went and can see that much of it was what we in the industry refer to as 'Self Inflicted pain.' :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com