From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:55 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Best way to configure a LAN printer

We also had a LOT of little printers everywhere. Some consolidation has
been going on. Really, there's a lot of economy of scale to
consolidation. Now instead of 200 varieties of ink cartridges in your
supply closet (with some doomed to obsolescence) you have a jug of powder
(or powders if you do color). Environmentally, that has to be better than
all the plastic and whatnot in each cartridge. Even if you recycle those
that's a lot of energy spent in filling them back up, shipping them
around, etc. And consolidated ones can be enhanced to do the scanning,
copying and other desired functions. What little ones are left, are for
special forms, people way out in shipping or some such thing. We didn't
even let them keep printers they already had due to the supplies. Not
only ink, but islands of paper.

We discovered we were going through a LOT of copy paper in August. I
pointed them out to them that's the same time that kids get back to school
supply lists and our local schools have each kid bring in a ream of paper.
Go figure.