Jeff,

Occasionally someone on the list will say that if you are getting
temporary write errors on a tape you should discard the tape. I tend to
hold on to the tape for awhile and check on stuff. Granted, we're a
little different. We have multiple drives in the one library and the same
drive may not get hit daily. But there are ways to see which drive was
used. What we've noticed is that it's almost always the drive. We get
the drive repaired and the errors go away. We then initialize those tapes
with a clear(*yes) just to be doubly sure.
I think we've 'retired' one tape from wear.