If it really is 70GB wouldn't we classify that as "bloatware"? :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:22 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Disk Size for Nest OS Release of IBM i

In all the times that I've seen a jump from one load source size to another I've never seen anyone give any concern to size lost to raid striping. Since the previous size was only 35gb and the new one is 70gb I would like to think that it doesn't need all 70gb, but that 35gb sure wasn't cutting the mustard any more. I would bet that 70GB is overkill but IBM just went with the next available size increase. And, that they don't like to dance on the edge of a knife so they won't tell you exactly what is needed.

You are probably wrong in your calculations about the 3 drive SCSI raid set. It's worse. In scsi drives the raid striping occurs across 2, 4 or
8 drives; depending on how many drives were in the raid set when it was first included. So in a scsi 3 drive raid set you'll end up with 35, 35 and 70, because the first two drives will have the raid striping. NEVER use a three drive raid set in a scsi setup. The performance will also take a hit because the striping is only on two drives. On a four drive set you'll end up with 52.5, 52.5, 52.5, 52.5 and balanced striping. SAS drives are different. On a three drive set the striping should be spread across all three drives. Don't take my word - verify.
The 3 drive raid set performance issue on scsi drives is not specific to IBM i. Other platforms all tell you to shy away from it.

HOST:
WRKNWSSTG
%
Name Used Size

MAIL1D101 0 140003
MAIL1D102 0 140003
MAIL1001 0 140003
MAIL1002 0 140003
MAIL1003 0 140003
MAIL1004 0 140003
MAIL1005 0 140003
MAIL1006 0 140003
MAIL1007 0 140003
MAIL1008 0 140003
MAIL1009 0 140003
MAIL1010 0 140003
MAIL1011 0 140003
MAIL1012 0 140003
MAIL1013 0 140003
MAIL1014 0 140003
MAIL1015 0 140003
MAIL1016 0 140003
WRKLNK '/QFPNWSSTG/*'
Object link Typ
. DIR
.. DIR
MAIL1D101 DIR
MAIL1D102 DIR
MAIL1001 DIR
MAIL1002 DIR
MAIL1003 DIR
MAIL1004 DIR
MAIL1005 DIR
WRKLNK '/QFPNWSSTG/MAIL1D101/*'
Object link Type
. DIR
.. DIR
QFPCLTSTG1 STMF
QFPCONTROL STMF
QFPSIDEFIL STMF

QFPCLTSTG1
Size of object data in bytes . . . . . : 146804801536
Allocated size of object . . . . . . . : 146841534464
QFPCONTROL STMF
Size of object data in bytes . . . . . : 512
Allocated size of object . . . . . . . : 8192
QFPSIDEFIL STMF
Size of object data in bytes . . . . . : 1024
Allocated size of object . . . . . . . : 8192

GUEST:
WRKDSKSTS
Size
Unit Type (M)