Re: Philosophical question...define table to be load from external data with integer or decimal fields...

fixed

Perhaps this will help explain my quandry...

The data source provided DDL for Oracle and MS SQL Server...

So I've got
--Oracle
create table mytbl
(myfld1 number(5) not null
, myfld2 number(2) not null
, myfld3 number(10) not null
, myDate varchar2(10) null
<...>

--MS SQL Server
create table mytbl
(myfld1 integer not null
, myfld2 integer not null
, myfld3 integer not null
, mydate varchar(10) null
<...>

The hard copy documentation has
Data
Element Record Type/
Name Position Length Picture
Myfld1 1-5 N/5 9(5)
Myfld2 6-7 N/2 9(2)
Myfld3 8-17 N/10 9(10)
Mydate 18-26 N/8 9(8)

Note: The data is coming as a pipe delimited text file, so the "Record
Position" above really doesn't apply.

Now, I've already decided to define mydate as an actual date :) Now I'm
trying to decide how to define myfld1, myfld2, myfld3.

My personal preference for new internal stuff is always integer if I'm
dealing with whole numbers. I've never really dealt with a "legacy" data
feed. Now I can certainly do legacy to match...but should I?

Charles

Charles