From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Implementer question

Vern's correct that this is a question best answered by MKS Support...

And while having no experience myself doesn't make me the best person to throw out an answer, I'll do it anyway. :)

I suspect that Implementer offers functionality similar to Aldon. Given my experience with Aldon, the answer would be it depends.

It depends on what your intent is and how you've configured you CMS to meet that intent.

A simple config would have multiple copies of the source one for each library, assuming the rest of the objects in the library are unique.
Basicaly each library would represent a unique (set of) application(s).

Now, if instead each library represents different versions of the same application, the configuration would be different and you can probably just have one copy of the source.

I onced worked at a place where we installed Aldon. We had two version of the app, call them parent and child. In the child version, it would sometimes use a file in the parent, sometimes it had it's own copy of the file (same format) as the parent, and sometimes it had it's own version (different format) of a file that existed in the parent. After some false starts, we finally came up with configuration that supported that usage.

One key thing I've learned with Aldon is to make sure my "production"
libraries are not defined directly in Aldon. In other words, my production libraries are always deployed to as if they are on a remote machine even though with only a single machine, I could have "promoted" directly into them.

Charles