Thanks, with the new hardware I think this is the perfect opportunity to segregate the RAID sets so they don't cross ASPs.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 8:30 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Creating ASP for Journal Receivers

If you are journaling for DR, then putting the receivers in a different ASP that has a it own Raid Sets gives you the following ability.

If you loose the system ASP, you can restore the System ASP without loosing the data in say ASP2 where your receivers are. Apply last nights backups and then apply your journaled data.
If you loose say ASP2 and if it only contains journal receivers then that is all you have lost.
If say ASP2 shares a RAID Set with the System ASP and you looses that RAID set then you have lost BOTH ASPs

We used to put journal receivers in a different ASP for performance reasons. This moved the addition disk I/O of writing the journal entries to different disk. I have had IBM tell me with today's systems with much faster drivers, large cache controllers etc, many systems don't 'need' to put them in a separate ASP. Again that 2nd ASP needs to be on its own RAID set to isolate that I/O. Putting ASP2 on the same RAID set as the ASP1 really doesn't isolate the IO