Paul,

You can have only one Service Tools LAN adapter on each partition. The configuration for the network based PTF images and remote LAN installs is exactly the same. So you can see it's easy to use just one for both.

I'm going to guess that if you have at least 8 or 10 drives on the host partition that going to 15K RPM drives or SSDs you likely won't get much visible difference in performance. Remember there is a lot going on on the client partition too and on the host partition it's read read and more read. Having those images on a DIFFERENT partition than the one being PTFed or UPgraded is the biggest benefit.

My scheme works sorta like this. Suppose you have a network 10.5.15.0 the VLAN ID for that would be 515. For 10.5.16.0 it would be 516. I combine octets 2 and 3. With legal VLANs being 1 to 4096 this isn't a perfect scheme but it works for me and of course you can tweak to taste!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com