From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Setting up a Service Tools Server - to use for sharing PTF
image catalog between partitions

Jim,

Basically you need to figure out how with your network you can
create a Service Tools interface on both 525 partitions and 2 of the 720
partitions.

Jim O. mentioned using a VLAN between partitions and that works
marvelously for all the partitions that are on that server. The Host
partition (in your case Test) gets a normal IBM i Ethernet line and private
IP address on that new VLAN. The other two partitions will have their
service tools ('Lan Console') interface on that VLAN. WHen you create the
virtual optical device here the IP you reference will be the IP address of
the Host(Test) on that private VLAN.

For the 525 partitions you'll need to come up with one additional
physical Ethernet port for each partition. That port will be connected to
your production network just as if it were a true LAN Console and it will be
assigned a unique IP address in that same network. WHen you create the
virtual optical device here the IP you reference will be the IP address of
the Host(Test) on the production network.

For all practical purposes the port cannot be shared between Service
Tools and IBM i, they are two different TCP stacks in two different parts of
the code.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com