<< For example, if you have 200 indexes on one physical file then every time
you add a row to that table it has to update all 200 indexes.>>

Not to mention that if the physical is keyed, the index area for the file
itself needs to be updated. It seems I spend a third of my time explaining
this to the under 40 programming crowd that whines about performance when
they're loading bazillions of records to a keyed PF that has many dozens of
logicals, indexes, and views over it.

Me: "Did you sort the input data first?"
Them: "No, why?"
Me: "Do you understand the concept of an index area?"
Them: "No"
Me: "Does your process remove the logical file members before loading the
data?"
Them: "No, why?"
Me: "What is the DBMS doing if you don't take these steps?"
Them: "Ummm"

And so on, and so on. This happens every time the outsourcer hires a new
batch of bodies to replace the previous bodies that jumped ship for an extra
14 cents per hour.

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978
Office 409-267-4027