Re: SQL Reverse Function

fixed

On 20-Dec-2013 07:28 -0800, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
On 12/19/2013 11:21 PM, John Yeung wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Gad Miron wrote:
I neglected to mention that there might be numbers embedded in
the string, The numbers needs to remain intact.
Given a 'ab123cd' string, a simple reverse will get me cd321ba
instead of dc123ba

That is quite an unusual requirement. If I may ask, what do you
need that for?

Good question - I can think of one possibility - if the string is
overloaded with multiple values - region, district, area (not good
examples, I know), then there may be a desire to leave certain items
in situ and swap others for some reason.

Which raises for me the thought that this is VERY specific to a local
requirement and doesn't line up well for generalization. If the
string were 'a1b2c3d', then by Gad's requirement, reversing alpha
only would be 'd1c2b3a'.

Or for an attempt to display data that is apparent BiDirectional (BIDI) data; i.e. reformat the data currently stored as left-to-right data to be presented\read as right-to-left data, while leaving any embedded /numeric/ data in-tact. But the requirements would be much more complicated than as-stated\alluded. Even if not so complex, there is still way too little information to make a good suggestion. I have a function that does exactly what both of those _very simple examples_ imply would be the expected result, but I would be hesitant to share that as a possible solution without knowing what are the requirements; i.e. overly-simplified examples are not requirements.