Thanks for the VERY comprehensive response.

The error I had in the SQL code was that the WHERE argument didn't match the IN.

At first I thought that I would need to use CHAR(TIME) and CHAR(JOSEQN) in order to cast as a string.

But I ran it WITHOUT the CHAR and it ran to completion error-free.

I think that it ran with expected results too.

I would prefer to use WITHOUT the CHAR casting as it is simpler to read and cleaner-looking.

Is it problematic in your opinion to skip the CHAR scalar casting and let the SQL engine "figure it out" as shown:?

Or can this lead to unexpected results?

I am hoping that even though I am mixing character and numerics, as long as the "WHERE" matches the "IN", I am comparing apples to apples so it is safe.

Insert into jrnflb4af
select * from jrnflALL
where JOCTRR = 8232817
AND JODATE || JOTIME || joseqn) in
(select min (JODATE || JOTIME || joseqn)
from jrnflall
group by joobj, joctrr
union
select max (JODATE || JOTIME || joseqn)