From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marco Facchinetti
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:53 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Create an Overlay from a PDF

Thanks Eric, it's my italian English... I try to explaine better.

We generate spools with Overlay the schema is:

Page1: OverlayA, some text, boxes, lines and so on
Page2/3/4: OverlayB, some text, boxes, lines and so on
Page5: OverlayA, some text, boxes, lines and so on
Page6/7/8/9: OverlayB, some text, boxes, lines and so on

When the spool is complete we convert it in PDF using a virtual printer
(Inforpint Server). The size is usually the sum of OverlayA, OverlayB and
few KB of text. So if OverlayA is 1,2Mb, OverlayB 670Kb the resulting PDF
will be less than 2Mb.

The problem using AFPRSC (with a single page PDF) instead of Overlays is
that the PDF's size will be 7,2 Mb (=1200*2+670*7). When the spool is
small, few pages, it's not a problem but our customers average spools are >
70k pages so the resulting PDF instead of 300/400 Mb became 12/15 Gb.

IBM lab's told me that is working as designed and if I don't like it the
only way is submitting a Design Change Request. And, maybe, in the next 3
or 4 years will be fixed, of course if IBM grants the budget to do it.

Actually overlays generation is complicated:

1 - If already present delete the old one
2 - Print the PDF using IBM Afp printer driver to generate the intermediate
object
3 - Import the intermediate object using System i Navigator

Our customers refuse this type of procedure, beside that the users should
have access to production libraries, have the AFP driver and Iseries i
Navigator installed on their Pc.

This is the reason why I'm looking for a tool to convert (automatically
under the covers) a single page PDF into an Overlay.

TIA

--
Marco Facchinetti

Mr S.r.l.