MH PTFs are normally firmware.

Since I use an HMC, and have that control firmware upgrades, I had
forgotten about allowing a service partition be in charge of applying
firmware upgrades.

Try the command DSPFMWSTS. Mine looks like the following:

Display Firmware Status

Service partition . . . . . . . . . . . . . : No
Firmware update policy . . . . . . . . . . : *HMC
Server IPL source . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Temporary
Firmware product ID/release . . . . . . . . : 5733906 V1R2M0

---Server firmware----
Fix PTF
Copy pack ID
*ACTIVE EM350_143 MH00000
*TEMP EM350_143 MH00000
*PERM EM350_126 MH00000

Service partition means does this lpar of IBM i control upgrading the
firmware on the FSP?
Firmware update policy means do I control firmware upgrades with my HMC or
by applying PTFs on a service partition. If you have an HMC then you
really should use the HMC. Yes it may add some steps but to do so
otherwise may mean you may get your firmware to a level that is no longer
supported by your HMC.
Server IPL Source: Much like IBM i has the 'A' side and the 'B' side
firmware has a 'T'emporary and a 'P'ermanent side. Which makes much more
sense. At least to those of us who speak English. But like does A and B
mean anything to a native language only person from China?
I don't find the Firmware product ID/release nearly as useful as the
'Server firmware' columns below.
Many firmware upgrades are not disruptive. I often perform them midweek
while the lpars of IBM i or Linux are running. Early on in the product
they often demanded a dedicated system or were so crippled to be worthless
without an IPL. There are still some which will require an IPL.

Firmware to HMC support:
https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/power5cm/supportedcode.html