On 18-Nov-2013 13:24 -0800, Stone, Joel wrote:
How can I estimate down-time required to RGZPFM a file? Is there a
utility or rule-of-thumb on these?

The easiest and most accurate is to perform the intended request on the DBF network restored or duplicated to a test library on the same partition and ASP. Depending on the characteristics of the deleted records [mostly the ratio] and the total number of records, some invocation variants of RGZPFM might be significantly better choices than the /traditional/ reorganize request which is now effected with [the defaults]:
RGZPFM ALWCANCEL(*NO) RBDACCPTH(*YES) LOCK(*EXCL)

Another means to estimate the /traditional/ invocation is to CPYF FROMRCD(1) TORCD(*END) COMPRESS(*YES) FMTOPT(*NONE) into a duplicate of the file, then CRTDUPOBJ each of the keyed LF [and each join secondary LF, which requires the other files in that DBF network must have been copied also]... in successive requests ordered as seen in DSPDBR MBR(named).

Because the effect of that /traditional/ reorg request is that the access paths are "rebuilt synchronously at the end of the reorganize operation", there can be great benefit [reduced time] by scheduling the rebuilds with more desirable work management [than what the OS provides by default], and with some level of parallelism.

Can it be killed if not completed OR will the file then be
compromised?

If a request to RGZPFM ALWCANCEL(*NO) is canceled [not an oxymoron], the original data in the file member remains unchanged [data integrity is maintained], but the logical Access Paths will be scheduled for rebuild in the background in the RunPty-52 QDBSRV## jobs. Those rebuilds can be held and the EDTRBDAP entries modified to *OPN, so the Access Path rebuilds can be performed instead with any desired Work Management by issuing an OPNDBF ACCPTH(*FILE) against the member(s) of the file(s) in job(s) that have the desirable attributes; issued in the order that is desired. Because the ability to process the Edit Rebuild of Access Path entries can be cumbersome, the data can be locked exclusive to the job doing the reorganize or preceding the reorg request with CHGLF MAINT(*REBLD) to each AccPth for which the request is supported, and then instead of OPNDBF the parallel jobs to rebuild would use CHGLF MAINT(*IMMED).