Poor REXX, the neglected stepchild ;-) For completeness, probably adding *IREXX and *BREXX too? :-)

I have always been frustrated by that error when creating commands in a somewhat ad hoc manner; e.g. 14=Create within PDM. Until this moment, I had never given much thought to how the command-source compiler could be enhanced to be more usable. Sure would be nice if the default value of *ALL for the "Where allowed to run (ALLOW)" parameter of the CRTCMD would be treated as a SEV(20) error, with the CPD0281 diagnosing instead, that the incompatible environments were dropped. That is, /softening/ the effect, treated almost as if something like a Single Value *ALLALWRTN [all environments allowing RTNVAL(*YES)] both existed and had been specified, to indicate that *ALL special values for which RTNVAL(*YES) is allowed should be included; i.e. IIRC, all but *INTERACT, *BATCH, and *EXEC.

I hardly expect anyone would complain about the former effect if changed [considering that is the most likely recovery intent; irrespective the recovery implemented]. But I doubt any change would ever come, unless implemented more like the latter, as a new single value for which CHGCMDDFT would be required, per dev fearing someone whining about the change in behavior.

Regards, Chuck