On 13-Nov-2013 13:34 -0800, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
<<SNIP>> if I'm correct, you can't journal the IFS. <<SNIP>>

Refer to the Start Journal (STRJRN) for the ability to activate journaling via IFS naming; to include Stream Files and Directories. Take note of the "New objects inherit journaling (INHERIT)" parameter that defaults to *NO; "Specifies whether new objects created within a journaled directory should inherit the journal options and the journal state of its parent directory."

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/cl/strjrn.htm
_i Start Journal (STRJRN) i_
"The Start Journal (STRJRN) command is used to start journaling changes (made to an object or list of objects) to a specific journal. The object types which are supported through this interface are Data Areas (*DTAARA), Data Queues (*DTAQ), Stream Files (*STMF), Directories (*DIR), and Symbolic Links (*SYMLNK). Only objects of type *STMF, *DIR or *SYMLNK that are in the "root" (/), QOpenSys, and permanent user-defined file systems are supported. ...
..."