Matt,

If you really are serious about trying to understand saving and restoring
data on IBM i then I suggest you at least try to read some of the material
out there. I would start out with
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzahg/rzahgbackup.htm

Yes you can do save while active. But you can also NOT use save while
active. So, when you say stuff like "Why is it then that GO SAVE, option
21 ends all subsystems?" it sounds sarcastic. I do not think your
question is genuine, like you really care why it ends all subsystems. When
you are talking about totally different operating systems you are going to
have to expect there are some differences in operation. You will have to
learn how to open your mind and try to understand. One of Stephen Covey's
books was "7 habits of Highly Effective People". In there, one of the
habits was "seek first to understand". Read the book. If a semi driver
was to jump into my car and the first thing he noticed was there was no
clutch it doesn't necessarily make my car worthless.

Another point. Someone like you, coming from a different platform, can
challenge us. And open our minds to different possibilities. Cross
platform comparisons are good. However, we have to learn to respect each
other and not try to belittle each other.

One other thing, the backup link above is not the "end all / be all".
There are other alternatives. There are things like:
- replicating your data to another machine with a high availability
solution and doing your backups from there.
- Some other replication solutions, forgive me if I have the wrong term,
but perhaps Metro Mirror or some such thing?
- Flash copy. I really do not know much about it at all. I did a little
reading about it at:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20Backup%2C%20Recovery%20and%20Media%20Services%20%28BRMS%29%20for%20i/page/FlashCopy
having to power down the system was a bit of a shocker, or is that how
other platforms work with flash copy?

IBM i administrators like to be able to do both full system restores or
granular, individual object restores, from the same backup. There is one
command that is supposed to save your entire system and not allow a
granular restore. That is SAVSTG. If you aren't currently using it do
NOT bother trying to study it. You do not want to use it. And I will
leave it at that for now.

If you are guesting a partition on another partition of IBM i you can save
the entire guest by saving the storage area for that guest on the host.
You cannot do a granular restore from that though.