Another thought. Is this job creating a job log you A) don't need and B) don't want?
If so check the job description to be sure you are not creating job logs for these jobs.

Check to see the allocation for spool files. Is it large enough for the spool files or are you reclaiming all the space constantly so the system has to make room for the spool files being created?

Is there enough memory in the shared pool that runs the job? Once a job goes to EOJ it's priority in the system drops to "when I get around to it" and the system moves on to other active jobs. Memory will have an effect on that process.

Is there enough activity level in the shared pool where the job runs?

These are the first set of basics I would look at.

Rob is also correct that opening/closing files takes a great deal of time. Can these jobs be architected so they are running in a similar fashion to a data queue processor? The job sits there waiting for work, a queue entry comes in, the job processes the queue entry and then waits for another one. This way the files remain open, the entire job structure stays in place and does not need to be created/destroyed 400 times.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects