The system has no way of knowing how big the parm is defined in the CL.
That's the job of the *CMD object.

But default, character parms are passed as char(32) unless the value has
more than 32 characters; in which case the parm is passed at it's actual
size.

However, trailing blanks are trimmed.

If you wanted to pass 'HI' as a char(1024), you'd need to pass: HI followed
by 1022 blanks followed by some non-blank character, for a total of 1025
characters. The trailing non-blank character will never be seen by your
program.

Alternatively, the the "best" solution in IMHO is to define a *CMD front
end to your program.

HTH,
Charles

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Darryl Freinkel <