Curl?

On 10/18/2013 4:15 PM, Dan Kimmel wrote:
That depends on the complexity of the web service. I publish a web service (from IBMi, btw) that requires arrays of object arrays to be passed as parameters. Haven't been able to crack it yet with HTTPapi.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Raul A. Jager W.
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 9:09 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Where can I find a list of current IBM i companies?

It is very simple to write a program to consume a web service in xml
using HTTPapi

Paul Raulerson wrote:

On Oct 17, 2013, at 4:58 PM, "Stone, Joel" <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No systems are simple to integrate with another system. Period.

Just doesn't happen, there are always glitches and annoying problems.
Guaranteed. Doesn't matter if it is Microsoft, IBM,
Burroughs/Sperry/Loonisys, Linux, or some mix of all of them - you can bet
there >are going to be unexpected difficulties.

The issue is NOT how simple to integrate. Agreed they are ALL
challenging. The issue is that when the city wants to integrate with the water
meter systems, the choices may be "choose Windows, Linux, Unix, or PHP".
If Iseries is not one of the choices, then they have to re-invent the wheel.

Perhaps, but more likely it will be "The Water system transmits it collected
billing data via XML to a web service. Can you write the web service that the
Water system consumes?"
Of course, the answer it that is yes. It isn't that hard. If it is, virtualize a Linux
instance and write a simple little traffic cop there to deal with it. None of that
stuff is high transaction rate high pressure stuff, and not a bit of it is rocket
science either.
Mostly you run into people who don't know what they are talking about but
have a label they once heard and cling to as if it were the only thing in the
world. Hammer, Square Peg, Round Hole type of thing.
WebSphere is nothing if not overkill for 90% of this kind of stuff, but you
often hear people claim they absolutely have to have WebSphere to be able
to write or consume a web service. Those people probably cannot tell you
what WebSphere is mind you, but they KNOW they have to have it.
Another thing, managers, especially managers in the public sector always
respond well to well designed proposals that are well researched and factual,
and save money. Most of the time, it is out jobs to pull that kind of stuff
together. ;)
I am going back to lurking now.... :)

-Paul