Thanks to the few that responded to my entry on the above subject. I think mainly Joel and Alan; apologies to any I didn't name. It's good to see some are thinking
strategically. I'm sure many could have responded but are "putting out fires". I totally understand.

It seems, from the responses, there are too many CIO's that are just putting out fires themselves and many that have no technical background; I'm kinda shocked at
both these observations if they are the rule, instead of the exception. While I can understand these situations, what with the landscape out there, if they are the rule, things are in a sorry state indeed. As we all know, a CIO's job is to think strategic and if they get too much in the trenches, they probably aren't aligned with business needs and wants (can't see the forest for the trees). If they have no technical background, I agree, they won't be able to know a good strategic solution to help the business from a bad or how to create one. Both situations seem to be a recipe for a limited time as a CIO. I wonder how many CIOs get seasoned help from a "disinterested third party" to help them?

I'd like to hear more if you all have time. Again, thanks to those that responded and any others that might have insights and potential solutions.

Sincerely,

David Odom
Casa Grande, AZ