It might help to list the tools you can use for development on the IBM i... This is another sign of the times, RPG programmers need to add to their skill set and use them on our platform.

Not just RPG and COBOL, and C and C++, but which GUI tool you want? There's Java, PHP, Python, Ant, and more of course.. All the encryption tools.

(The companies named here are from some years ago, but most probably still use it)

In the day when the AS/400 was still new (yes, AS/400) and I was teaching programming and admin courses for a local college, the crew from Bacardi Rum - USA came through my classes. Their new IT director came in about the same time and wanted to move everything to something else. They all yelled at him, protested (professionally) and finally he relented. Cordis Electronics (medical devices).

Does Microsoft still outsource to a firm running the now IBM i?

At least two or three of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the country are here in South Florida, they use it. A lot of supermarket chains (Sedano's, Navarro Pharmacies, others).

BIG companies use it, LITTLE companies use it.

Little: a one-user system (Don King, yes, the boxing promoter).

Big: The first-biggest and the second-biggest "recycling" utility companies in the USA (the world, maybe?) use it for their core accounting and back office. (Ryder Truck Rentals and Waste Management).

Community hospitals all over the place use software based on it. Thousands of them. Community Health Systems has hundreds. The interactive piece for the software CHS uses is 100% GUI.

Lots of banks, I mean LOTS of them. Many of them custom code, many of them use Jack Henry, Inc. software.

Walgreens, CVS, and others.

My local municipality along with 10s of 1000s of others at least across the country. Steelville, MO (population 1,642 in the 2010 census) or the county Crawford County pop. 24,696). City of Miami Springs, Florida, 14K+, uses it. Miami-Dade County uses it in several departments. ===>Chances are your own county or city, whoever you are, is using IBM i.

Sony International, Chase International (now absorbed into JP Morgan-Chase I think), University of Miami..

Does one of the midrange mags sell a list?

(Dice and Monster have listings but the list for IBM I and RPG is very small compared to others, BUT many of the Java and PHP openings are IBM i)

--Alan