From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:30 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Pros/Cons - One large R&D i5OS partition vs several smaller i5OS hosted partitions

Some thoughts:

Keys depend on the vendor. They can create keys for the entire machine or for a partition. Each has rules that you'll need to find out from them. Some just charge more for 'whole system' while some charge a fee for each partition. IBM's keys are for the whole machine not for the partition.

If you host all the guest partitions on one then you get most of the benefit of lots of disk arms even on the smaller partitions.

The smaller partitions allow you to do various maintenance bits independently such as PTFs for example. Will need to do PTFs etc on multiple partitions. A Trade off.

You can also have things like web servers, libraries, IFS directories, etc. with the same names because they are on separate partitions.

Backing up each smaller partition is quicker of course but you'll need to do several instead of one. A trade off.

Of course each partition is separate so developers can't even accidentally trash 'the other guys' data. They can be separately secured as well.

In larger shops we see one LPAR for Production, One for pre-production QA validation, one for user approval testing, one that is the 'official'
development partition that contains all source, and then various testing partitions where data gets mucked about with.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com