Not much response to this one; not sure why.

None of my reply has to do with my current employer - I don't want to get in trouble with that! I am speaking in general and not about any one org.

From what I have seen, most CIOs are in a persistent CYA mode.

IT shops are in such a mess with multi-platform, multi-language. Consultants and BAs and developers coming and going. Supporting 500 to 1000 apps in a fortune500 company seems the norm, not the exception. It seems humanly impossible to support such a mix with efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

So CIOs are jumping from one issue-of-the-year to the next, never able to address the "root cause" and make things right.

They are always looking for that "silver bullet" to fix everything (which doesn't seem to exist). Whether it's a whiz-bang do-it-all ERP, new OS, exec dashboard, whatever.

Look at the large failures in the press over that past few years: Hersheys with SAP, the FBI and FAA with their proprietary re-write debacles. It seems that almost every shop is in a similar situation, albeit with no press to air the dirty laundry.

It appears to me from a simple-minded anecdotal view that companies with a tech-oriented CIO fare much better (developer background). For example, Microsoft did amazingly well under Bill Gates - a techie. When they put in a lawyer, the company floundered. Same with Apple, and I am thinking same with non-tech companies like most of ours.

Problem is, most CEOs don't think a techie is good in the CIO spot, in fact they seem to abhor the thought. So they put in an MBA-type and that's when things seem to go south.

So non-tech CIOs are trying to solve tech issues without a tech background of any sort.

So the CIO's concentrate on metrics, KPIs, other stuff that will look great until there is so much water in the hull that the ship is heavy and sinking. Cause they don't know and cant dig into the root causes due to their lack of tech knowledge & experience.

So in a nutshell, the only issues that they are looking at are strategic. But an org cant deal with strategic issues until the foundation is set with solid technical details.

Just my 2 cents.