Sometimes rules are put in place for one reason and cause problems in other places. This was one, because some geos didn't allow connection or disconnection of ANY cable while the power was applied. This cover interlock solved that...... and caused others. It DID allow me to get then IBM AS/400 chief Tom Jarosh to say "OH SHIT" in front of all of COMMON in New Orleans! :-)

Other rules like Chicago's 6 ft power cord limit caused IBM to make those the default and far FAR too often that's what customer got. This resulted in many cases they were too short to lay on the floor thus causing trip or disconnect hazards.

As Jim mentioned too there are lots of good reasons for serious techies to keep old hardware around, I know Jim does, Pete has a room full of them and I can't even get two cars into a three stall garage! All that stuff enables testing, trying things, and sometimes helping out customers too! Making the yellow light come on or the server go quiet in your own lab is not so embarrassing as in the customer's DC!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com