Okay speed readers, slow down and read the posts. :-)

"Thin client" is NOT a generic term. It is a term for a very specific
piece of, ahem, hardware. It was only useful on a few select platforms.
Anything boldly labeled a Power system will not use them. I don't count a
Power 5 as boldly labeled a Power system as IBM still marketed those as
system i or whatever. A thin client will NOT work on a Power 6 or a Power
7.

The only system consoles available on a Power 7 are:
- Lan console. Great for single partition machines.
- HMC or Hardware Management Console. Darn near required for multiple
partition machines, with a few exceptions.
- FSM or Flex Systems Manager. I've no experience with this. The name
seems to indicate it's for IBM "Flex" systems.

I've used the first two. Once back on a Power 4 multilpar machine. And
once on a side job with a single lpar machine. Actually the Power 4 setup
was Operations Console and not Lan Console.

Buzz, your LAN console connection is what you want to use. You can start
up a 5250 console session on it and it should default to running in your
controlling subsystem. This session should continue to run even in
restricted state. Yes, it does amaze me how IBM can get just enough low
level TCP running to support Lan Console and not restrict a rclstg, full
system save, etc, not one whit. You can do an ENDTCP and a ENDSBS *ALL
*IMMED and your console will not be affected. It can do your PWRDWNSYS
and you will see the screen as it apply ptf's and everything else. You
can use your favorite PC Anywhere or Dameware software to take control of
this remotely.

The difference between Operations Console and Lan Console was that your
Lan Console was on your Lan. And you could have more than one (as a
backup or whatever). Operations Console required a special wire. Yes,
there are those who feel it doesn't count as a system console if it
doesn't have it's own unique wiring system.
Operations Console has been discontinued.