Thanks for the tip. I was originally thinking of just stopping at VLAN1 point in your story, I don't see a need in our situation for redundant virtual links, as long as the physical path is protected.

Dana

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:12 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Setting IP redunduncay in AS/400

Be vewy vewy kareful, we're hunting wabbits. no wait, that's redundancy we're hunting! Be careful anyway!

Yes you can use aggregate lines as one end of the bridge. Supported and legal. Then you use a line description to the internal VLAN as the other end of the bridge. So far so good. Let's suppose the internal VLAN is VLAN 1.

Now let's do this again, two more aggregated lines another bridge but this time to VLAN 2 on the inside.

Each partition then gets one virtual connection to VLAN 1 and one to VLAN 2 then set up the IPs as I described before. This gives, um, redundant redundancy? (From the department of redundancy department?)

Why be careful? Because if you create two bridges like this but connect both bridges to VLAN 1 then you have just created a loop and your network will not appreciate this. Most likely bad things will happen unless your switches are pretty smart, recognize this, and set one of the bridges to blocking mode. If it does that to both of them then the rest of the network runs but the entire Power System is now off line!
Either way, not good.

Yes of course I tested this and it foo-barred the network as it creates a packet storm. (With Cisco switches at least.) I did not take the time to mess with storm control I just varied off the offending bridge lines.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com