Are you this DrFranken http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Franken
From: DrFranken [mailto:midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 7:14 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Cc: Mike Cunningham
Subject: Re: cloud backup services
At iInTheCloud.com we offer two cloud based backup options.
1- Back up to a local Crossroads SPHiNX VTL which is then replicated automatically to our SPHiNX.
- Advantage is fast backups with a local copy for fast restores.
- Automatic off-site copy as soon as the backup completes.
2- Use PowerHA or Mimix or MaxAva or ... to replicate data to a partition in our cloud. Backups are then done on our system and you have no outage whatever.
- Advantage is data is ALWAYS off site and current there.
- Advantage is bandwidth is much less as only changes cross the wire and they do so all day long as they occur.
- Disadvantage is a local restore is hard because the backups are with us!
Nathan's response pointed out one issue with backups to the cloud:
Bandwidth! You need a bunch in most cases unless you can really figure out what to back up each night. Change 1 row in a 500,000,000 row table and you get to send the entire table with that night's backup. If you were replicating to a remote server or partition ONLY that one change
goes across so its done instantly.
ALSO COnsider that until the ENTIRE backup has been copied off-site you got NOTHIN off site. Partial doesn't do you much good. With replication you're current off site almost continuously.
Just some points to ponder.....
- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis
On 7/25/2013 10:46 PM, Mike Cunningham wrote:
Is anyone using cloud backup services for iSeries nightly backups? If you are how much data are you sending nightly and what service are you using?
VP for Information Technology Services/CIO Pennsylvania College of