I understand the general concept of not giving developers access to
*SERVICE special authority on a production machine. That is, they could
use the graphical debugger (which uses STRSRVJOB under the covers) to
debug a production program, change a running variable, and monkey around
with data ( eval netpay=999999.99). Knowing this, is there other reasons
not to give them *SERVICE authority? Like, "I read how to stop/start
parity protection and wanted to try stopping it to see if it improved
performance"?

We already do not give them *ALLOBJ. One, for security reasons. Two,
stops some of the "gee, it works for me". The latter was serious egg on
the face when our BOFH used to be a developer and turned over our first
AS/400 based accounting system to the masses.