The newer operating systems (V6R1, V7R1) have finally settled on setting the java path in environment variable JAVA_HOME. In the absence of that environment variable, the system will look for a system.properties file in your /usr/home directory, or then in /QIBM/QUserDate/... Both of those OS versions use only the J9 runtimes which actually run in pase. The paths to the J9 jvms are in /QOpenSys/QIBM/..., though you may find a symlink in /QIBM/QProdData/Java... I don't have a new one I can look at right now to give you more detailed info. Is this enough to get you going?

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stone, Joel
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:21 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: java error on NEW iseries box - works well on PROD box - both v5r4
error: "Java program completed with exit code 1"

Our production iseries box supports java and the following command works
well and returns the current installed version:

Java *version

Java Shell Display

java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_19-b04)
Classic VM (build 1.4, build JDK-1.4, native threads, jitc_de)
Java program completed

Our new iseries box returns the following error for the "Java *version"
command:

Java Shell Display

Java program completed with exit code 1

The new box license shows the following (which matches the prod box):

Display Installed Licensed Programs
Licensed Product
Program Option Description
5722JV1 *BASE IBM Developer Kit for Java
5722JV1 5 Java Developer Kit 1.3
5722JV1 6 Java Developer Kit 1.4
5722JV1 7 Java Developer Kit 5.0
5722JV1 8 J2SE 5.0 32 bit
5722JV1 10 Java Developer Kit
5722JV1 11 Java Developer Kit

Any ideas what I can configure or check to get java working on this box?

Thanks