Chuck - I believe the "went fine" was MY comment when using the formatter - AND it seems that the OP did NOT put the AND in the right place - see his next post.

Please take a step back on your position on the formatter - granted, it's not an iSeries tool - but it did present itself as a fairly agnostic tool. Or maybe take no position on it, since the input given you was faulty.

As it turns out, I believe that the formatter was helpful. You may have your own opinion, albeit without having tried the tool. SQL syntax is SQL syntax, after all, and there seemed nothing proprietary in the OP's statement.

Now as to using RUNSQLSTM - the article on that was very brief - the OP could have put his statement into a source member and tried it with the option to merely do syntax checking (*SYN is the value of the parameter whose name I don't recall).