On 09 Sep 2013 14:34, Vern Hamberg wrote:

This might almost be a nice option on the STRDBG command,

But the SQL [and Query Engine] Debug Messages are specific to the Query and SQL features. If there was a /debug component/ feature that would be invoked by the other components [e.g. by QQ:Query and SQ:SQL], as is the case for the trace facility, then I could see that command as the source of the activation [and CHGDBG to modify the setting].

But as an option added to STRDBG, would that essentially be asking any generic feature that checks if debug is active, to then inhibit their logging based on some debug attribute.? If the debug component\feature externalized such an option, would the parameter be an Off\On [e.g. DBGMSG(*YES|*NO)], or maybe a logging level [e.g. DBGMSG(*NONE|1:99|*MAX), or perhaps a multi-element list to offer which components should have their debug messages logged [and would the list be just OS components or some user-defined as well]?

IMO the feature that owns the logging really should be asked\informed to log or not to log; each such feature already should be doing that anyhow, so making a flag available additionally from the debug feature would seem to confuse the issue.

instead of requiring some entry in the QAQQINI, which is relatively
less simple to manage for things like this.

Of course there is the Override_QAQQINI stored procedure to override the Query INI options instead of choosing a Query Options Library (QRYOPTLIB) of the Change Query Attributes (CHGQRYA).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzajq/qryoptf.htm
_i QAQQINI file override support i_
"If you find working with the QAQQINI query options file cumbersome, consider using the qsys2.override_qaqqini() procedure. Instead of creating, managing, and using a QAQQINI *FILE object directly, this procedure can be called to work with a temporary version of the INI file. It uses user-specified options and values. The support relies upon the QTEMP library, so any changes affect only the job which calls the procedure.

Example Usage
..."

So that would make a nice requirement to submit - you'll want to say
what benefit it gives you, like what you've described here in this
post.

I still think the MESSAGES_DEBUG feature of the QAQQINI which exists to enable and activate the Query Debug Messages irrespective of Debug feature being activated, is the most appropriate implementation for any change in function. There is apparently no capability to *deactivate* the Query\SQL Debug Messages irrespective of Debug feature being activated. AFaIK currently the values supported are *DEFAULT, *NO, and *YES [the "default" is *NO]. Either the QQVAL of *NO could change to mean "no logging irrespective of debug being active" or more likely... to maintain consistently with past function and what I believe is a consistency with *DEFAULT matching to exactly one of the non-default supported values, a new value such as *SUPPRESS could be added to mean "no logging of debug messages irrespective of the debug feature being active in the job".

I [perhaps incorrectly] recalled that the precursor to the CHGQRYA, the FRCQRYI, already had the capability to turn-off the query debug messaging even while debug was active, but I do not have the command [and help text] to review if that was the case. In a past message IIRC I suggested if anyone has that [service only] command, that they could look.