I do not have access to any system to formulate and verify the steps, but they have been discussed on this forum several times in the past. I could only read those messages and the documentation, and hope to properly formulate a script without errors. I will defer to links to those; some are included later in my reply.

However the use of VrtTap is somewhat moot, if the test\timing of the FTP PUT is not verified to be significantly\sufficiently faster.? For example... Even if the transfer time drops to 2hrs from 3hrs as ~1/6th of the presumed total work, then the 2hrs*6similar_files is still some 12hrs of presumed transport-time, which is way beyond a 5hr maximum as the allowed transport-time.

Regardless... Basically, the data to be transported [e.g. using FTP PUT] is the storage allocated *behind* the virtual tape. That is the Image Catalog. Here are some past messages [threads] and doc links that may be of interest to get the necessary steps:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzam4/rzam4virtualtapeusevt.htm
IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Storage solutions -> Virtual storage -> IBM i virtual tape
_i Setting up virtual tape storage i_
"Follow these steps to set up your virtual tape storage.
Parent topic: _IBM i virtual tape_
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzam4/rzam4virtualtape.htm
..."

Subject: DUPTAP from physical media to virtual tape.
" _i Virtual tape media i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzaiu/rzaiuvirtualtape.htm
"
" ... Subject: Re: physical / virtual tape backup file at a time
... http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200703/msg00561.html
"

Subject: Tape/Library Question
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201109/threads.html#00162

Subject: Re: Save multiple libraries to a savfile then restore
" <refers mostly to above links and doc links> "

Regards, Chuck