Joel:

Many other operating systems, (not only from IBM), many now "retired" or legacy prodiucts no longer in common use, did not support a hierarchical file system. MULTICS was the first major system to promote the concept of hierarchical directories of files, and UNIX followed the MULTICSdesign in this regard. UNIX became popular in the 1970s, and so, the idea of hierarchical file systems also became "popularized."
.
So, (other than MULTICS and UNIX), very few operating systems prior to the 1980s actually had anything like a hierarchical directory of files.

IBM System/38 CPF (the predecessor of OS/400 and IBM i) was originally developed from ~1975 to 1979.

Mark S. Waterbury