In this scenario, how are the two virtual LIND's connected ? I'm guessing
you connect them by putting the virtual adapters on the same VLAN.

I have found that it is enough to specify the VLAN on the virtual adapter
that forms the virtual part of the bridge on the host. Adding a virtual
adapter into the same VLAN on the guest completes the connection. Like so:

Network <--> Phy Adapter <- bridge ID -> Virt Adapter (HOST) <- VLAN ID ->
Virt Adapter (GUEST)

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So would that be a total of 3 lines on the first lpar? #1-physical
network bridged to #2-virtual LIND, and #3-virtual LIND with LPAR#1's
intended IP address.

Yes! The first two lines pair up and create the Bridge while the third
line is the line used for IP on the host partition.

Advanced option is to create an EtherChannel to the switch using two
physical Ethernet ports and cables. This gives some redundancy and
additional bandwidth as well. For best redundancy you'd want these to be
different physical Ethernet adapters as well.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com

On 8/20/2013 2:39 PM, Mitchell, Dana wrote:

Thanks Doc!

<Quote>
You can use just one physical line on the IBM i Host partition and have
that bridge to the desired internal VLAN. Then you can put a virtual
adapter on the host partition to that VLAN as well. The IP traffic for the
host then goes to the internal VLAN and then back out across the bridge.

The bridge itself appears to use virtually no CPU at all as long as you
follow IBMs recommendations.
</Quote>

So would that be a total of 3 lines on the first lpar? #1-physical
network bridged to #2-virtual LIND, and #3-virtual LIND with LPAR#1's
intended IP address.

This would be a good tidbit to include in the article along with IBM's
warning of what *not* to do....

Dana