Why not just fill in the script with the values you're expecting the RPG program to populate and run it. If it runs ok then you've got a problem with your scripting. If not then you've got something very specific to give him to demonstrate the problem.

On 8/14/2013 7:52 PM, John McKee wrote:
Original script had one space between the two parameters. Nothing was
truncated. The single space between scp and the first parameter was
left alone, but the space between the parameters was totally removed.
Replacing the single space with 4 spaces had the same result - single
space following scp and no space between the two parameters. Also,
nothing truncated or mangled.

John McKee

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Chris Bipes
<chris.bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have run into something similar to this before. The problem being that the shell parser would build the command, expanding the variables. It would not insert white space between the parameters so you had to put enough spaces in the line to hold the expanded variables. Try adding a few more blanks in your script and see if the expanded variables still generate the line all run together.

--
Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John McKee
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:50 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Secuer copy (scp) issue

Script on my side has scp -v as last line. That is what I am
referring to. The script cleaqrly has white space between the source
and destination parameters on scp. But, log shows no space between
them.

I just received yet another email from the remote site. Again, he is
focused on replacing the variable SERV for an explicit destination.
Despite the fact that the output from scp -v clearly shows a
connection has been established with his system. I have asked him to
check the old server, if it is available for how it is configured.

Earlier, I tried replacing one of the four spaces with a backslash,
hoping it was the defined escape character. It wasn't. Still
scrunched the two parameters into one.

The original scp command in this mess isthis:

scp -v ${PEDID}@${SERV}:${PATHE|$1 ${PATHO}

The output from scp -v shows no space at all between $1 and ${PATHO}

Why he feels that replacing $SERV with the specific name id beyond me.