Hi all,

recently I finally managed to perform a scratch install (LIC and OS) of my 9406-800.
I swapped the Twinax IOA for another 2849 network card; I had no Twinax console in my possession, so I changed the system to LAN console.
Now I had 1 #2849 for the LAN console, and another #2849 for the regular network.

Last time I IPL'd and wanted to configure the regular network, I didn't recall seeing an unconfigured network card; I thought it was my inexperience with i5/OS, so I decided to start Googling.

I soon found a lot of contradicting information. My System Planning Tool (legacy) told me that I couldn't use two 2849's with the embedded IOP, but a combination of one 2849 and one 4838 was valid (or two 4838's). Other (IBM) documents told me that any combination of 2849's and/or 4838's (up to a maximum of two cards) was ok.

Does someone have some experience with this? Can two 2849's work with the embedded IOP in my 9406-800? I don't mind getting another network card (4838) if needed, but I'd like to be sure that in the end I'm not stuck with a load of cards I can't use :)

Regards,

Rene,
Holland.