The Query/400 report writer is the report writer used to produce output for non-DRDA STRSQL reporting. I do not recall if the Interactive Profile Entry storage for the /preferred/ display-size setting is distinct for each utility, or the preference value is shared betwixt. I seem to recall having enhanced the STRSQL utility long ago to have its own stored preference, such that the interactive displayed reports presented by RUNQRY [and WRKQRY] reports would have their own Query/400 preference separate from the interactive reports presented in the STRSQL.

Regardless, the shared report writer extracts the /last-selected/ report-width setting and then will attempt to establish that report-width if the device supports it. Thus if the last-selected report-width was 80-byte, then the next report will also be 80-byte, *irrespective* of what the device supports. However if the last-selected report-width was 132-byte, then the report will present in the 132-wide report *if* the device supports it or present the 80-width report when the device does not support 132-wide.

The [non-migrated from s/36] user profile defaults the storage of the IPE to hex zeroes, and the zero-bit(s) value indicates that the user-preference is to show the 132-wide report-width if the device supports it. Thus the uninitialized setting and the last-selected setting of 132-wide as the stored choice will effect what appears to the user as auto-expanded to 132 whenever the device supports 132-wide. And for any user that last-selected 80-wide [per use of F22="Width 80"] will no longer experience the apparent auto-expanded effect because they had previously explicitly chosen a preference of 80-wide, and they must press F22="Width 132" to explicitly reset their preference for 132-wide reports [that F-key is available only when reporting from a 132-wide-capable device]. Note however that this /auto-expansion/ is not based upon the width of the report to be presented, but based upon the stored preference for report width, in conjunction with the capabilities of the device.

Regards, Chuck