A quick font summary.

X0GT10 is a coded font which is just a short hand way of pointing to a
character set (C0D0GT10) and a code page (T1D0BASE) combination.

So these are identical.

CDEFNT(X0GT10)

FNTCHRSET(C0D0GT10 T1D0BASE)

C0D0GT10 is Gothic 10 cpi raster, but it has more than 256 raster
patterns, because it has English, French ,German, Spanish, etc characters
in it.
The code page tells it which characters to use and where the code points
are. English EBCDIC in this case, but change the code page and you've a
different language such as German EBCDIC or French EBCIDC or ASCII. Let's
skip double byte or Unicode for now.

When the second letter becomes a Z, it is by naming convention referring
to an AFP outline font. i.e. XZ and/or CZ

If your printers and other emitters can handle TrueType or OpenType
Unicode fonts, they give you a huge range of encoding, point sizes and
styles and are easy to match to your other systems. Instead of 2304 use
Helvetica.

If your printers or emitters can not do that, and you have them available,
try AFP outline fonts. CZH200 is the font character set for Helvetica
Roman Medium. Paired with code page T1V1003 you get US English EBCDIC.

Either type of outline font will get you the best resolution of the
particular printer. ie. 240,300 or 600 dpi. etc.

If you need precise results on legal documents, raster fonts give you
total control. Best for OCR, checks with MICR, etc.

The easiest and loosest is the FGID, such as 2304. It is a request for
Helvetica. The printer can substitute a different printer resident font.
If the printer doesn't have that font the host may download whatever it
has that it considers a match. Please see DSPFNTTBL FNTTBL(*SYSPHFCS) and
scroll down to 2304. This means you have the best chance of printing
something and the worst chance of printing what you wanted. So if you are
happy with both the PDF and the laser output, continue to use it. If you
have to add different printers and start getting the cry of "The font's
wrong on x", you may want to consider the options above.

If you have just a few objects the need positioning, use your normal line
skipping and spacing and plug in your graphics, large fonts, line
segments, etc.
If you have lots of variably positioned data particularly using
I've an example of a 8.5 by 11 sheet that prints 2 different labels each
about 1/3 of a page, so that they are 3 up. Each section can be printed
independently from any other.

I'll send you the example if you'd like.

Bill Scott
Advisor, Solutions Engineering
Canon Solutions America, Inc.
5600 Broken Sound Blvd. Boca Raton, FL 33487
www.csa.canon.com
wscott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
T 561.997.3256 C 561-703-0754