<snip>
I also told IBM that I initiate shared 5250 sessions from my PC
connecting to QCTL, using HMC 5250 Console settings with User ID
Q#HMC.
I typically keep-alive(27/7) the physical HMC console session that is
physically connected to the HMC in the server room. Then log on also
from my Windows 7 laptop in shared mode.
</snip>

The trick here is do you even have the 132 column option on the physical
HMC console session? I don't think you're going to get 132 on the shared
until you get 132 on the physical. They're supposed to be able to echo
each other. I've done this with one person in the computer room just
watching me and I'd be at home. Me having 132 while they only had 80
wouldn't be a true echo.