I have used both the CHGATR method and the omit from the BRMS backup. Both
have their place. If I always want it omitted from the backup, even a
dedicated full system save, then I'll use the CHGATR method. If I just
want it omitted from nightly backups, but want it in my dedicated full
system saves then I'll use an ignore list in BRMS and when I do my full
system saves I'll use
STRBKUBRM CTLGRP(DTFULL) SBMJOB(*NO) OMITS(*IGNORE)
The key thing being the OMITS(*IGNORE)

Something to consider: If you were to do an unload/reload to a new system
would you really want to skip that directory? Will you remember to change
the attribute back?
If you had to restore a completely fried system would it work without that
entire directory not being there? For example, if I have a directory
called /server/logs it may create files in the logs directory as it needs
them. And they're most likely to be locked on a nightly basis and not
really cared about. But if I had to restore to a new system and did not
even have the logs directory would the application start or would it
complain about a missing directory? Is it application dependent?