I agree with the one poster that the newer tape drives will often beat out
saving to save files.

But, if you're using save files, then use medium compression instead of
high. High takes a lot more cpu for not much more compression. We limit
high to stuff that's going to be retained for a LONG time with minimal
access.

I also agree with the poster that suggested saving to virtual tape over
save files.

I don't know your situation but one post led me to believe that you are
running an HA solution. So, if you are running Mimix or some such animal
I suggest backing up off of your HA machine. We do. Many do. Our
primary machine sees tape only once a quarter, for a full system save. On
the HA machine we shut down Mimix, save the data, start Mimix back up. All
automatically. Started this shortly after attending a LUG meeting
presented by someone who was doing this. Really simplified our backup. We
had all sorts of custom programs before hand. Now all simplified with
BRMS.

We don't even keep tapes in the city with our primary machine. We carry
them over there as needed. Really worked to reduce temptation. We do use
virtual tape to save off some stuff on an lpar that does not use Mimix.
It's probably our only Domino server that's not also clustered somewhere
else. The virtual tape get's ftp'ed over to another machine and DUPMEDBRM
to physical.

Are you running multiple lpars and have to coordinate around the tape
drive and that's why you're using save files? I would look at going to a
tape library with multiple drives and attach via fiber. Fiber, with a
switch, gives you so much flexibility. If you can swing a fiber card per
lpar. That, combined with a HA machine and solution, really simplify your
backup.