Hi John

Thank you for saying more about yourself - that really helps in any forums like this.

I would not say your questions look stupid. They just seem very brief, with not much background. People on these lists - all of them - have busy lives, so a question with no context is not going to be looked at well. Why should anyone go to the work it takes to dig out important details? This just clogs up the forum with unhelpful posts.

This isn't just this group or just me being an unfriendly guy! The webpage on asking good questions says much the same thing.

So I suggest using more words - your recent question about JDE - maybe your boss asked you to look into this - if it's OK to tell us that without violating some company policy, it's helpful to do that. And say something about where you've looked, or that you have no clue!

If someone is a student, I think we would be OK with giving some help, IF that person were open enough to say they are a student. I dare say, no student is going to ask questions about JDE!!

In summary, please keep asking questions. Just give the group some context - use more than 1 sentence.

I've been on these lists for maybe 18 years - yikes! I know more now than I did then, and much of that I owe to the generous people on these lists. And I've even been privileged to meet some of them. This truly is a community helping each other. That's one reason I guess I'm sensitive to anonymous posts and posters. Still, that's probably my issue.

Someone may have put the link to the asking-questions document. That document has been really helpful to me, so I don't recommend it out of spite or any other unhelpful motive. It's tone can be a bit harsh, but it makes very helpful points, which will net you better responses in a group like this.

I just took a look at the document again - here's a quote I liked -

"Odds are you'll screw up a few times on hacker community forums"

We all have. But it's important to learn, not give up, be encouraged, all that good stuff.

So, here it is again - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I think we're all about learning how to fish, not giving someone a pre-cooked fish stick.

Cheers
Vern