On 12 Jun 2013 13:36, Buck Calabro wrote:
On 6/12/2013 3:50 PM, Eric Lehti wrote:
Our web users are, of course, authenticated by Windows when they
log onto our network, but I am not certain to what extent our
portal authenticates portal users.

Well that's a different problem entirely. If any random member of
the general public can authenticate to the portal, she will not even
have an IBM i user profile. If this is the case your portal people
will need to prove authentication.

While not directly capable to effect either the auditing or journaling of changes to data being tracked to a specific user profile [but of course as noted above by Buck, the scenario may not even allow that for lack of correlation from prior authentication to any specific user profile on the server], the available Client Special Registers may be able to provide the authenticated /client user/ to the database for whatever _other_ logging may be desirable. For example, there is the CLIENT_USERID [and CLIENT_APPLNAME among others] that can be established for a connection, and thus of some possible merit?:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/db2/rbafzspecreg.htm
IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Database -> Reference -> SQL reference -> Language elements
_i Special registers i_
"A special register is a storage area that is defined for an application process by database manager and is used to store information that can be referenced in SQL statements. A reference to a special register is a reference to a value provided by the current server. If the value is a string, its CCSID is a default CCSID of the current server.
..."

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/db2/rbafzcurcluser.htm
IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Database -> Reference -> SQL reference -> Language elements -> Special registers
_i CURRENT CLIENT_USERID i_
"The CURRENT CLIENT_USERID special register specifies a VARCHAR(255) value that contains the value of the client user ID from the client information specified for the current connection.
The default value of this register is the empty string. The value of the client user ID can be changed through these interfaces:

* The Set Client Information (SQLESETI) API can change the client special register.
* In CLI, SQLSetConnectAttr() can be used to set the SQL_ATTR_INFO_USERID connection attribute.
* In ODBC, SQLSetConnectAttr() can be used to set the ODBC_ATTR_INFO_USERID connection attribute.
* In JDBC, the setClientInfo connection method can be used to set the ClientUser connection property.

..."