On 6/12/2013 3:50 PM, Eric Lehti wrote:
do a "profile swap on additional server requests"

Buck, is your technique the typical solution for authenticating web
users logging onto IBM i? I confess that I am not familiar with web
portal authentication or how to perform a profile swap. I imagine this
action would occur in the PHP code.

There are two broad possibilities for a PHP-based portal accessing DB2
for i data. Directly embedded SQL (SELECT x,y,z FROM table WHERE...) is
one, and it is the ugliest. One can't make changes to the database
without meshing with the portal developers. They need to know a lot
about the layout of the database. And about the only lever you have to
control the situation is the authority of the APACHE profile.

The other method is to provide stored procedures for the portal team to
use. You could have one to authenticate a user, one to get address
information, one to get financial information, etc. With stored
procedures, your database is much more independent of the portal and
when Bob uses the portal, the stored procedure he (indirectly) calls can
do a profile swap and operate under USRPRF(BOB).

I will ask our PHP web administrator and also post your observation to
IBM tech support and ask them how I can implement your suggestion.
Our web users are, of course, authenticated by Windows when they log
onto our network, but I am not certain to what extent our portal
authenticates portal users.

Well that's a different problem entirely. If any random member of the
general public can authenticate to the portal, she will not even have an
IBM i user profile. If this is the case your portal people will need to
prove authentication.
--buck