I'm using option 5 from link below, works great.
Virtual LAN adapter, second separate VLAN with its own subnet for the remote virtual optical use

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick.Bingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 2:50 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Applying PTF's via NFS

It does save you the time and disk space of FTP'ing the files. I know for most shops it probably isn't that much of a cause to rush and do this, but for shops that have lots of partitions, it could help.

From the link below, it doesn't require a dedicated card if you have a gigabit adapter but the line does have to be varied off and TCPIP ended before selecting and using it. I agree it isn't a good solution but it is what it is....

Notes for selecting the LAN adapter:
1. If there are no available adapters listed , press F21 to show all adapters. F13 will not show a resource with an active line description. If there are no available adapters listed and you are able to use an adapter that currently has an active line description, use the command WRKHDWRSC *CMN, and then select Option 5 to work with configuration devices for the resource. Verify that each line description is varied off. After the lines are varied off, F13 should list the adapter and allow you to select that adapter.
2. If you plan to tag a gigabit adapter that is currently in use, ensure that you end TCP/IP (ENDTCP) and vary off the TCP/IP line prior to configuring the Service Tools Server (STS). Only gigabit adapters can be shared; however, any line description using this adapter must still be varied off before using the STS Lan adapter.
3. If possible, you can DLPAR a LAN adapter from another partition.
4. It is possible to tag a virtual LAN adapter as long as both the server and client system are in the same virtual network.
5. If a virtual LAN adapter is tagged, the host and client partitions must not be configured to use jumbo frames. Because the TCP/IP stack used by the NFS client/virtual optical (the altStack) does not support jumbo frames, the HOST and CLIENT partition must configure the virtual Ethernet for standard size frames (for example, MAXFRAME(1496) on the line description or MTU <= 1500 on the TCP/IP interface). It would be suggested to create a second separate VLAN with its own subnet for the remote virtual optical use.

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/643d2723f2907f0b8625661300765a2a/cd1e09bce3f88bc886257a2c004973d1?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=4%2C3#_Section4

Patrick Bingham | Principal Power Systems Engineer
Office: 402.965.2381 | Mobile: 402.212.2944 | Patrick.Bingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sirius Computer Solutions | www.siriuscom.com
14301 FNB Parkway, Suite 400, Omaha, NE 68154