hello,

On 6/2/2013 9:21 PM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Amazingly enough the same problem also plagues the Z os. A DCR to
get IBM to fix this was flat out rejected.

One wonders why IBM doesn't use code from the (open source) Samba project. They've solved all of these problems, and new versions of Samba work great with new versions of Windows.

Why does IBM feel the need to continue with their clunky, unreliable, awkward SMB implementation.... why not use Samba with their own additions to make it meet the requirements of IBM i (CCSID translation, logon to IBM i, integration into the IFS, etc)

IBM has done similar things with Apache, BIND, Java, and others... why not do it with SMB as well?

FWIW: I agree with others that IBM's implementation of NFS is much more stable and much less quirky than their NetServer/QNTC implementation. NFS is fantastic for accessing Unix/Linux machines, and works extremely well there... But... NFS is not a "normal" way to access Windows drives, and I've found Microsoft's Unix Services to be clunky and quirky.

NFS is also less secure than Windows Networking (as amazing as that might be) and therefore you should only use it within a trusted network. (i.e. not over the Internet, unless something like a VPN is used to protect it.)