embed SQL to query SYSCOLUMNS in Excel, presto, near real-time pivot tables with table-column (file-field) info.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: new user for IFS

Buck,

I think he is trying to get a listing of columns in a table, and their properties, into Excel. Perhaps for documentation purposes. I think he is hoping to export the picture from iNav into Excel. If he just "has" to document this in Excel then I suggest querying SYSCOLUMNS instead. I am of the opinion that any report like this, whether it's on paper or in Excel, is obsolete the day it's created. And I fall back on SYSCOLUMNS or DSPFFD or alternative tools like DSPLYT.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755