The following scripted actions show extra columns causing no difficulties for the import. Perhaps such a script offered for the failing scenario could clarify to the readers what is [going] wrong in the failing scenario.

create table qtemp/cust as
(select lstnam, state, zipcod
from qiws/qcustcdt
) with data
; -- Table CUST created in QTEMP.
CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(QTEMP/CUST) TOSTMF(cust.csv)
STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII) RCDDLM(*CRLF) DTAFMT(*DLM) STRDLM('"')
FLDDLM(',') NULLIND(*NO) DECPNT(*PERIOD) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
; -- All records copied from file CUST in QTEMP.
dspf cust.csv
; -- output from above dspf follows:
************Beginning of data**
"Alison","MN",56342 "Abraham","MN",56342 ************End of Data**
alter table qtemp/cust add column giorno date
; -- table that will be used for import has an extra column
CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF(cust.csv) TOFILE(QTEMP/CUST) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
STMFLEN(*TOFILE) RCDDLM(*CRLF) DTAFMT(*DLM) STRDLM('"')
RMVBLANK(*NONE) FLDDLM(',') DECPNT(*PERIOD) DATFMT(*ISO)
FROMRCD(*FIRST) ERRLVL(*NOMAX) ERRRCDFILE(*NONE) ERRRCDOPT(*ADD)
RPLNULLVAL(*no ) /* using *FLDDFT works the same */
; -- 2 records copied to member CUST.
runqry *n qtemp/cust
; -- results from above query request follow:
------ LSTNAM STATE ZIPCOD GIORNO
000001 Alison MN 56,342 -
000002 Abraham MN 56,342 -

Regards, Chuck